History

History of the Excellent

St. John's hall, established by the Anglican Church in 1912, was the first residential hall of the University. The original site of the hall was the current St. Paul's College. In 1955, as the site was needed to establish St. Paul's College, St. John's Hall was moved to the current site at 82 Pokfulam Road. At the same time, St. John's hall was combined with the first woman's hall, St. Stephen's Hall, and re-named as St. John's College.

In 1979, the second phase of St. John's College was completed with the building of the new wing, the "Aw Boon Haw Wing". The third phase development was accomplished 20 years later in 1997, providing more than 130 en-suite accommodations for postgraduates and visiting scholars.

Ever since, the mission of St. John's is to cultivate and prepare its members to be leaders of the community.

Excellence Since 1912

The predecessors of the present St. John's College are St. John's Hall and St. Stephen's Hall. In the year 1911 while the University of Hong Kong was still in construction, The Governor Lord Lugard already made it compulsory for all students to live in a residential hall in order to ensure" discipline and moral education". Therefore, the Church Missionary Society was incited to fund the building of the residential halls. Fairlea Girls' School, which was opposite the University's Main Building, was transformed into the first residential hall – St. John's Hall. In 1912, the first batch of students moved in; there were a total of 33 students of which 23 graduated from St. Stephen's College. In the following years, the hall was renovated for several times to hold 70 students in all.

As Rachel Irving, daughter of E.A. Irving, then Head of the Education Department. Was admitted to the university in September 1921, the need to build a female residential hall became eminent. Thus, the Church established a female residential hall at 13 Bobington Road (which was later moved to No. 15 on the same road). This was St. Stephen's Hall and was staffed by St. Stephen's Girls' College.

The Second World War

The number of students began to grow throughout the years, and the places available at the residential halls were unable to meet the demand by 1939. Therefore, the Church decided to establish a new hall opposite the then the Cricket Ground (St. John's College current address) to replace St. John's Hall and St. Stephen's Hall, but the proposal had to be abandoned because of the start of the Second World War. St. John's Hall had to be closed down when Japan invaded Hong Kong on 8 December 1941, and the Auxiliary Fire Brigade took over the use of the building. 25 December, Hong Kong was in a destitute state and St. John's Hall was extensively raided. During the Japanese occupation, St. John's Hall was occupied by an infantry company and a shelter for Anglo-Indian and Eurasian refugees. By 1945, when Britain regained sovereignty over Hong Kong, St. John's Hall had been completely demolished – all that was left were four blank walls.

Relocation to the Present Address

In September 1946, the University of Hong Kong resumed classes. The Education Department agreed to help rebuild St. John's on the condition that it could use St. John's West Wing. St. John's was thus reopened in September 1947, and the West Wing was used as the Northcote Training College Primary School and St. Paul's Boys' College. After St. John's was rebuilt at the present address, the old site was given to St. Paul's College as school campus.

1954, the Church carried out its plans mad before the War, and started to construct a new hall at the present address, combining both St. John's Hall and St. Stephen's Hall and renamed St. John's College. The first phase of the construction, the Marden Wing (Old Wing), commenced in 1954 and was complete in 1955. This building was named after the founder George Marden and provides about 100 rooms.

The first S.A. Chairman and floor association

In 1956, the first student association was established. Wong Kee Fung was elected as the chairman. The Chain of Aquila, as a token of the chairman, was first given out and had been passed to the chairman of each year till now. At the same year, the first floor association, the House of Lords, was formed as the foundation of floor culture in St. John's College.

Establishment of the New Wing

The Aw Boon Haw Wing (New Wing) and the Liang Chi Hao Centre, extension building to meet the increasing number of university students, admitted their first students on 16 March 1979.

Foundation of the Third Wing

The Wong Chik Ting Hall (Third Wing) was completed in 1997 and serviced students on 1 September. This extension is mainly for postgraduate, doctorate and international students. From then on, there are 125 places for male students and 98 for female students in the Old Wing and New Wing, a total of 223 places; the Third Wing holds 111 places.