The Council is established in accordance with the “St. John’s College Ordinance”. It is the College’s highest governing body. Its members include
1. The President who shall be chairman
2. The Master (being the chief administrative officer of the College)
3. The Treasurer
4. The Fellows not being honorary fellows
5. The Vicar of St. Stephen’s Church in Pokfulam
6. The Secretary of the Church Missionary Society, South China Mission
7. Two alumni (one male and one female)
8. Four principals of Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui’s secondary schools
9. Two representatives appointed by the General Synod of the Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui
10. Two other members co-opted by the Council
Meetings of the Council are held semi-annually, in June and in December.
The Council does not have official student representatives. The Chairperson and Vice-Chairpersons of the Students’ Association sit in the Council meetings as observers to voice St. Johnians’ concerns, but they do not have the right to vote.
The Master and Fellows carry the administrative works of the College, while the Chaplain and the Tutors assist them in their works.
- THE PRESIDENT
- THE MASTER
- THE TREASURER
- HONORARY FELLOWS
- THE FELLOWS, NOT BEING HONORARY FELLOWS
- THE VICAR OF ST. STEPHEN'S CHURCH
- ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN, FORMER COLLEGE RESIDENTS APPOINTED BY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
- TWO REPRESENTATIVES APPOINTED BY HONG KONG SHENG KUNG HUI
- TWO OTHER MEMBERS ELECTED BY THE COUNCIL